You’ve heard of Google, right?
- There are over 4.4 BILLION google searches made each day (source)
- There are over 60k searches made each second (visualize that here)
- Google has indexed over 130 TRILLION pages (source)
The Google Ad Grant - The Basics
- A $2 max CPC
- A Daily Budget of $329 with a default budget of $2 per click
- Text Ads Only
- Grant Ads appear below paid ads
- You must own your own domain (*Your landing page must be on a high-quality website (see the website requirements))
- *Ad Grants accounts must have specific geo-targeting to show ads in locations relevant to your nonprofit.
- *Your Ad Grant must have a 5% CTR (Click Thru Rate)
- *Mission based keywords only, with no single keywords
- *Ad Grant Accounts must have at least 2 active ad groups per campaign each containing a set of closely related keywords and 2 active text ads.
- *Ad Grant Accounts must have at least 2 sitelink ad extensions.
- *Your ads must use conversion tracking with defined conversion values (either in AdWords or imported from a linked Google Analytics account).
- *Within a month of campaign activation, you must change your bid strategy for each of your campaigns to Maximize conversions.
Let's take a look at a few of these.
Applying to the Ad Grant
Church Adwords Grant Strategy
Now that you have access to the Adwords Grant, you may be thinking, "Great! We're going to be spending $10k a month in free advertising, and everyone in town is going to know about us!"
I hate to break it to you, but it's not that simple.
A Dose of Reality
We run millions of dollars a month in Ad Grant ads for church partners from around the world, and we've noticed a few things common misconceptions about what churches think they will get out of the Ad Grant.
Here are a few misconceptions churche often have:
- That they will get $10k/mo in local traffic
- That they Ad Grant will magiccally make their online presence relevant
- That the Ad Grant will be a quick solution for getting people into their weekend service
Let me touch on each of these.
First, spending the full $10k each month can be challenging in general. Google has been raising the bar lately on the quality that they expect from Ad Grant campaigns, and many churches struggle to have enough unique content on their website to use for landing pages from their ads.
On top of that, finding keywords with enough local search traffic can be challening simply due to a lack of population density for many churches. Keyword traffic is almost directly correlated to population density. For example, even in a city the size of Dallas, "best church in Dallas" is only googled 70 times a month. (we actually recommend a completely different keyword strategy than that type of keyword, but that's a topic for another blog).
The Ad Grant can definitely lead to a large increase in website traffic. But traffic does not equal effectiveness. We advise churches to not focus on proxy metrics like website visitors. Instead, we recommend Key Performance Indicators that show truer signs of engagement and ministry effectiveness. So, if your church thinks that the just getting an increase in traffic from the Ad Grant will all of a sudden make your online ministry relevant and effective, chances are you'll be sorely disappointed.
Finally, if your church thinks that the Ad Grant will all of sudden bring a surge in people to your weekend service, there is a high chance that you will be underwhelmed. Why? Well, for the two reasons listed above. Plus, promoting a weekend service, is a much more involved strategy than just a lot of free ad spend bringing random people to your website.
What is the Ad Grant Good For?
After working with hundreds of churches of all sizes on their Ad Grant account strategies, we think that we have found a valuable use for the Ad Grants that are available to all 501c(3) churches.
Simply put, the Ad Grant is a good tool for connecting to the people in our world that have questions, need help, or just want someone to talk to. Through the Ad Grant campaigns we have been blown away by how much trust people put in google to help them find the answers to their questions; questions that oftentimes are deeply personal, existential, or involving grave felt needs.
We have seen an inordinate amount of people laying bare their marriage struggles to pastors and churches that they have never met. We have seen people reach out in times of crisis or confusion, because our partner churches are simply willing to engage with them. We have seen people with authentic questions about the Bible or Christian beliefs reaching out for insight from our pastors.
The call to action from our partner churches is simple. It is the willingness to be available to answer questions and engage with people in their search.
What the Next Step?
If your church is a 501c(3), and is interested in leveraging this unique opportunity, we are glad to partner with you to reach the people who need to be reached on behalf of your church.
The partnership is simple. Through CV Outreach, at no cost to your church, we take care of all of the technical details, we run the campaigns, we leverage some unique technical solutions that we have developed specifically for this initiative, and your church gets to respond to the people that come to your website.
Whether or not your church chooses to partner with us for the Ad Grant opportunity, know that we are here for you. If you have questions about the Grant, about Adwords, or about how online advertising can lead to genuine connections for your church, feel free to reach out at any time.
If you are interested in learning more about the CV Outreach Ad Grants Partnership, click below to sign up to talk with one of our Community Team members. We look forward to partnering together to reach people with the Gospel.